Wavefront by VMware – Details / Components / Benifits / Integrations
Wavefront is a high-performance streaming analytics platform that helps you monitor and optimize your environment. Wavefront is unique because it can scale to very high data ingestion rates and query loads. That means you can collect data from many services and sources across your entire application stack, and can still look at details for earlier data collected by Wavefront.
For DevOps teams and developers building and running modern cloud-native applications at enterprises with digital transformation initiatives, Wavefront provides metrics-driven analytics at massive scale. Unlike traditional monitoring systems optimized for discrete environments, or “starter metrics” tools, only the Wavefront by VMware solution provides the flexibility, scale, speed and cost, all optimized for delivering modern highly distributed and dynamic applications on public, private, and hybrid cloud infrastructures.
Wavefront has these main components:
- The Wavefront service runs the metrics collection engine.
- The Wavefront proxy forwards data to the Wavefront service in a secure, fast, and reliable way.
- A collector agent such as Telegraf can send data to the proxy or
- You can send your metrics directly to the proxy – as long as the data is in one of the supported data formats. For example, if your environment already includes a metrics collection infrastructure, you can do some pre-processing on the data and send them to the proxy.
- The proxy can also ingest metrics from your log files
You have many choices for getting data into Wavefront. You can combine them to monitor all data sources in your environment.
- Configure Wavefront to access the data in your cloud environment. The result is direct ingestion of cloud services data such as Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform.
- Set up a collector agent such as Telegraf to gather data from your applications and send that data to the Wavefront proxy. Wavefront supports many standard collector agents, including Telegraf, Docker cAdvisor , and others. You can use a collector agent integration install the agent and proxy for you.
- Instrument your applications using the Wavefront metrics library and send the data to the Wavefront proxy.
- Send data directly to Wavefront. If your environment already has a metrics infrastructure, you can do some pre-processing on the data so they correspond to the Wavefront Data Format, and send them to the Wavefront proxy.
You can interact with Wavefront from your web browser or using the REST API:
- The user interface (UI) is displayed in a browser. You log in to the Wavefront UI from a standard web browser, in many cases using an SSO solution. One unique feature of the UI is that it can display charts with data over any range of time (e.g. over an entire year).
Wavefront supports Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Wavefront does not support Internet Explorer because of technical limitations of that browser.
- The REST API allows custom applications to access all Wavefront UI actions.
Below are the Technical Benefits :
- Query-driven analytics: The Wavefront® by VMware® platform features over 100 analytical functions that help developers to quickly see code performance anomalies in production across the entire stack, helping them self-serve and support their code. It helps DevOps teams customize metrics-driven queries to their unique cloud services/platform environments.
- Smart Alerts: The Wavefront® by VMware® platform empowers developers and DevOps teams to proactively monitor native-cloud application issues using advanced analytics-driven alerts, avoiding false positives. Smart proactive alerts can pinpoint code issues early before their customers are impacted.
- Interactive dashboards: Wavefront® by VMware® helps all DevOps and developer teams investigate, iterate and share key insights. It allows metric tagging and correlation across all metric data sources within the “cloud” stack delivering the first pane of glass unified visibility for all. This insight fosters critical code, services and infrastructure troubleshooting that enables DevOps teams to resolve application issues.
- Complete API: The Wavefront® by VMware® software allows teams to automate monitoring and integrate across DevOps functions. The Wavefront by VMware platform is extensible and allows easy integration with popular DevOps and developer tools including Pager Duty, Puppet and Chef, fostering continuous delivery principles and collaboration across teams.
- Instant high-velocity custom metrics: Wavefront® by VMware® supports ingestion and instant visualization of high-velocity metrics at millions of data points per second. Developers can add and vary new code metrics in a snap, while DevOps practitioners can monitor their cloud environments and optimize resources for growth.
- Scale ready for enterprise adoption: Unlike open-source solutions, the Wavefront® by VMware® platform enables high availability, scale and maintenance-free monitoring, freeing teams to focus on innovation and business needs and not on maintaining tools.
- Pre-built dashboards: In addition to custom query-driven metrics, the Wavefront® by VMware® platform delivers out-of-the-box packaged visibility, reports and alerts that help DevOps teams analyze their cloud (AWS services) performance and infrastructure cost. It also provides canned dashboards for container and microservices monitoring, supporting all container orchestration systems (e.g. Kubernetes, Amazon ECS, etc.).
One way of getting your data into Wavefront is taking advantage of a Wavefront integration. Below are the clould plaform where wavefront can be integrated :
- Docker with cAdvisor
- Google Cloud Platform
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- Pivotal Container Service
The full list can be found here : https://docs.wavefront.com/integrations_list.html